Monday, May 27, 2019

Talkeetna, Alaska

Again we awoke to a beautiful day! We took the Glenn Highway (1) north but stopped at the Eagle River Nature Center. It wasn't open yet so we decided to hike the Rodak Nature Trail. Because it was early morning not many people were out on the trail. In fact we were just a little concerned about running into a bear given all the posted warnings. The Beaver Viewing Deck over the river was our first stop.

Me keeping an eye out for bears.    

       

Once back on the highway we saw sign after sign warning of moose crossings. In one area they had had over 300 moose accidents. It wasn't until we reached the turnoff for Talkeetna that we saw our first moose – two in fact. Of course I couldn't get the camera out in time to snap a picture. On the way into town we stopped at Cubbys (grocery) for milk and cheese. 

In Talkeetna, a very small, quaint town, we checked into our little cabin at Chinook Winds.  

We were very pleased with this set-up. Quiet with a well furnished little kitchen – just too cute! 

We walked down the main street, checked out a few of the trinket shops and confirmed our flight around Mt. McKinley that was scheduled for 4 pm. 
Brian toyed with the idea of a new profession, but decided it would be just too cold in the winter.


At 4 pm we drove the 1/4 mile to the little airport and I saw the small airplane we'd be flying in. I wasn't too sure about this. Would my fear of heights ruin the experience for me? The K2 flight crew were very reassuring. At first they weren't sure we could do the flight because the mountain had been cloudy all day but was clearing. Some backpackers had been waiting all day for a chance to land up on the mountain.

Finally we got the go-ahead. The pilot introduced himself to us and said we'd be the only ones on this flight. Of course, the plane he was flying was only a 4-seater. Here's a photo of us with our pilot, Wil. He had over 40 years experience so that helped calm my fears. The sun came out and the mountain presented itself in all it's glistening white spendor. Brian was like a little kid. He told me of his many trips with his pilot buddies in Washington on a plane just like this one. I thought I would have to tie him to the seat or he would float away!



I sucked it up and decided something is going to kill us eventually, either disease, accident, etc. I might as well go while watching Brian have the time of his life. A peace came over me and I just prayed, "Lord, if it's my time I'm ready, but if not please help me enjoy this experience," and He did.





There's a scene in the old Robert Redford/Meryl Streep movie, "Out of Africa," where the two are flying on a small airplane just like this one. Karen (played by Streep) makes the comment that she saw the world as God sees it. I felt the exact same way. This is what God sees, His amazing creation in all it's beauty, just waiting for us to discover it.

Before I knew it we were decending back into the valley and the runway appeared ahead. Now if we can just have a smooth landing...

We did it! What a thrill! I would highly recommend this experience to anyone visiting Alaska.



Here I am feeling high as a kite because I didn't freak out!

We celebrated out on the porch that night with our Top Ramen noodles, cheese, rolls and a bottle of wine. It was a fine day and there was still so much to come! Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment