Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Alyeska, Alaska

When we arrived at the hotel in Alyeska Wednesday evening it was still light. The town of Girdwood is very small, but the Hotel Alyeska is first class all the way. The ski resort is expensive in the winter, but we slipped in between the busy summer and winter seasons, landing a very reasonable rate.

Everything about the hotel was polished and refined, from the deep wood paneling to the brass elevators. Because the day had left a chill in my bones I was especially grateful for the warm, welcoming reception we received. Our room was much nicer than I expected, it even had a towel warmer! Behind the hotel is a reflection pond that sits at the base of the ski lift. A tram takes you to a quaint restaurant up on the mountain side with panoramic views. Here are some photos:



I found myself wishing we had booked two nights here instead of just one. We finally got a good night's sleep because the curtains really did block out the daylight. When we awakened we decided to check out the little bakery down the street. We had the lightest, tastiest cinnamon rolls I've ever eaten. Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture before I started eating it. The coffee was also divine. I think I could have spent the entire trip right here in Alyeska.

After breakfast we grudgingly checked out of the hotel and went for a hike right behind it. The Winner Creek trail is 2.5 miles to the hand tram, and then 2.5 miles back to the hotel. The day was clear and sunny with just enough cool to keep me from sweating as I walked along the trail. The tall, moss covered trees create a hush in this dense forest with little creeks running through it. Another couple we met on the way said they saw several moose crossing the trail, but we missed them.




When the trail reaches Winner Creek an old hand tram allows you to cross. We had heard the tram was closed, but when we reached it we found it unlocked and functioning. It is only big enough for one person, although I suppose you could squeeze in two little people.  I wasn't about to go out on that flimsy cage and pull myself from one side of the creek to the other. Of course you know Brian. Undaunted, he jumped in and started pulling the ropes. I just tried not to hyperventilate.

The creek was more like a rushing river with all the snow runoff. I'll include a few pictures below.















I guess I was getting in shape from all the hiking because this 5 mile trek was no big deal. The time in the woods communing with nature was so refreshing that I felt ready for next day, which would be the day we boarded the ship. 

We stopped on the way back to Anchorage and had our PB&J sandwiches at a picnic table beside the Turnagain Arm. It was starting to cloud up again. We checked into our last Anchorage hotel, right beside the train station – The Anchorage Grand Hotel. For an older hotel greatly in need of updating, the Grand is surprisingly functional. 

Our room had a little kitchen area that included all the utensils, pans, plates, etc. you'd expect to find in a kitchen. We still had two packages of Easy Mac so that's what we made for dinner, after we walked back from dropping off the rental car. We heard the train whistle several times that night, but managed to fall right back to sleep. We had to be at the train station at 5:30 a.m., but since it was just a few hundred yards away we weren't too worried about missing it

No comments:

Post a Comment